September Writing Contest
The September writing contest is here. It is time to test your skills once again. We have had some excellent stories submitted in the past and I hope to see many more in the future. Anyone is welcome to submit a story whether they have participated before or not. The only people who will not qualify for a finalist spot are the ones who have won in the last three months. For more information, you can find previous winners, links to earlier contests, and basic details on the competition here.
The prize for this contest will be a $20 Amazon gift card awarded to the first place winner. You have from now until Friday at Midnight (EDT) on September 30th to submit your story. After that, I will select the top three stories and open them for general voting in a separate blog post (if there are more than ten entries, I may make that four finalists). It will remain my right to use assistance from outside sources in the selection process if I cannot decide easily. Those who judge will have no stake in this contest or its outcome.
Now, here are the stipulations and rules. Follow them closely or you will be disqualified!
- The submission must be between 350-750 words. I will allow no more than a five word variance from this. Titles are required as well, though they do not count toward the total.
- The story must involve a fight scene with two or more characters where one side clearly wins (through death or submission). You can use a various assortment of weapons including knives, swords, hand-guns, rifles, whips, snowballs and fists. Do not use advanced weaponry such as nuclear missiles, grenades, rocket launchers, machine guns, etc.
- At least one of the combatants must be human.
- Include the reason for the fight, even if it is a petty one. It could be as simple as a bear attack and a person trying to survive.
- Ensure the story is well-edited and broken down into paragraphs.
- No extreme language. There are people here who do not want to see it and I prefer we not have anything that might be too offensive to the average reader.
- Making me laugh will gain you favor in my selection, but it isn’t a requirement. All genres of writing are welcome (if you are erotica, try to keep it mild please).
- Post your story here in the comments section. Do not email it to me.
- Ensure you include your name (even if it is only a first name or nickname) at the end of your work. That does not go toward word-count either.
- Anyone who has won any of the last three contests is not eligible for a finalist position. They can submit a story if they wish, just for fun, but they cannot win.
That is everything you need to know. Come back next Saturday (October 1st) to see who the finalists are and vote in the poll for your favorite candidate. The poll will stay open until midnight (EDT) Monday, October 3rd. That is approximately three days for voting. Tuesday morning, I will announce the winner. That person will receive a $20 Amazon gift card. If you have any questions, you may email me for clarification (see my About Me page for the address).