April Writing Contest
It’s time to kick off the April writing contest! I hope this will be another one filled with great stories for us all to enjoy and that the contestants had fun writing them. For those who are new to the contest, or haven’t participated in a while, pay close attention to all the details. The stipulations and rules are listed below. For further information, stop by the Monthly Writing Contest page to see the complete listing of rules and other information that you should know (along with who the previous winners are).
You will have until April 30th at midnight (EDT) to submit your entry. That is approximately seven days from now. On May 1st, I will announce the finalists for the contest and open up voting. There are typically three finalists, but if more than ten entries are submitted, I may select four. It will remain my right to use assistance from outside sources in the selection process, if I cannot decide easily. Those who judge will have no stake in this contest or its outcome.
As a reminder, the first and second place winners will receive a prize. First place will receive a $20 Amazon gift card, and the runner-up will get a $10 Amazon gift card. Both will be announced after voting is over on May 4th.
Now, here are the stipulations and rules. Follow them closely or you will be disqualified!
1) The story should be centered around a visit to the dentist’s office.
2) At least one of the following must occur:
a) an argument over the price
b) screaming from pain
c) a new dental experiment
d) the wrong tooth pulled
3) The story cannot be a dream.
4) The word “crazy” must be used at least three times, but never twice in the same paragraph.
5) Word count: 600-800 words
1) No extreme language. There are people here who do not want to see it and I prefer we not have anything that might be too offensive to the average reader. Light profanity is acceptable.
2) Making me laugh will gain you favor in my selection, though it isn’t a requirement. All genres of writing are welcome (if you are erotica, try to keep it mild please).
3) Post your story in the comments section of this post. Do not email it to me.
4) Ensure you include your name (even if it is only a first name or nickname) and a title for the story. Neither of these go toward word-count.
5) Anyone who has won a prize in any of the last three months is not eligible for a finalist position. They can submit a story if they wish, just for fun, but they cannot win.
6) Any story submission posted here can be posted elsewhere AFTER the competition is over. The only thing I ask is that you put a disclaimer saying that it was written for a contest on this blog (a link back here would be nice).
7) Must be your original writing that has never been published before or posted elsewhere prior to this.
8)Anyone may enter the contest (regardless of country of origin) but must be able to receive an Amazon gift card (they are not transferable). I will convert US currency to the currency of the Amazon country site requested, based on current exchange rates.
9) In the event of a tie during the finalist voting round, I will ask (at a minimum) three previous winners who are not involved in this round of the contest to vote anonymously (via email to me) and use the majority of their votes to make the decision on who will win. ***New Rule***
That is everything you need to know. Come back on Tuesday (May 1st) to see who the finalists are and vote in the poll for your favorite candidate (or maybe even yourself). The poll will stay open until midnight (EDT) Thursday, May 3rd. That is approximately three days for voting. On Friday, the 4th, I will announce the winner and runner-up. They will both receive their Amazon gift cards at that time via email. Good luck!