February 2013 Writing Contest- Valentine’s Day ThemeE
It’s that time again for another monthly writing contest. As you probably ascertained from the title, it has a Valentine’s Day theme. Don’t let that fool you, though. It doesn’t have to be sappy. Have fun with the stipulations and be creative.
For those who are new to the contest, or haven’t participated in a while, pay close attention to all the details. The stipulations and rules are listed below. For further information, stop by the Monthly Writing Contest page to see the complete listing of rules and other information you should know (along with who the previous winners are).
You will have until February 10th at midnight (EST) to submit your entry. On February 11th, I will announce the finalists for the contest and open up voting for three days. There are typically three finalists, but if more than ten entries are submitted, I may select four. It will remain my right to use assistance from outside sources in the selection process, if I cannot decide easily. Those who judge will have no stake in this contest or its outcome.
*As a reminder, the first and second place winners will each receive a prize. First place will receive a $20 Amazon gift card, and the runner-up will get a $10 Amazon gift card. Both will be announced after voting is over on February 14th. First place contestants (who are authors) are also eligible to have their book cover advertised on the front page of this blog.
Now, here are the stipulations and rules. Follow them closely or you will be disqualified!
1) Premise- It’s Valentine’s Day and your character has no one to go out with. How does he/she deal with that? Do they find someone, stick with friends, or stay home? Your story should give an answer to that.
2) The following words must be included in some form in the story:
b) Ice cream
c) Toe nail clippers
3) Word count requirement: 600-1200 words
*Note- Be sure to proofread your story before posting. Make sure it is broken up into easy to read paragraphs (approximately 3-5 sentences each) with no large walls of text. You must have a title as well. These elements work in your favor during the selection process.
1) No extreme language. There are people here who do not want to see it and I prefer we not have anything that might be too offensive to the average reader. Light profanity is acceptable.
2) Making me laugh will gain you favor in my selection, though it isn’t a requirement. All genres of writing are welcome (if you are erotica, try to keep it mild please).
3) Post your story in the comments section of this post. Do not email it to me.
4) Ensure you include your name (even if it is only a first name or nickname) and a title for the story. Neither of these go toward word-count.
5) Anyone who has won a prize in any of the last three months is not eligible for a finalist position. They can submit a story if they wish, just for fun, but they cannot win.
6) Any story submission posted here can be posted elsewhere AFTER the competition is over. The only thing I ask is that you put a disclaimer saying that it was written for a contest on this blog (a link back here would be nice).
7) Must be your original writing that has never been published or posted elsewhere prior to this.
8)You are allowed one edit where you can fix one sentence in your story after it is posted. Contact me prior to the contest closing date/time and specify exactly what it is you want changed. ***New Rule***
9) Anyone may enter the contest but must be able to receive an Amazon gift card from an Amazon site that is in English (they are not transferable). I will convert US currency to the currency of the Amazon country site requested, based on current exchange rates.
10) In the event of a tie during the finalist voting round, I will ask (at a minimum) three previous winners who are not involved in this round of the contest to vote anonymously (via email to me) and use the majority of their votes to make the decision on who will win.
That is everything you need to know. Come back on Monday (February 11th) to see who the finalists are and vote in the poll for your favorite candidate (or maybe even yourself). The poll will stay open until midnight (EST) Wednesday, February 13th. That is approximately three days for voting. On Thursday, the 14th, I will announce the winner and runner-up. They will both receive their Amazon gift cards at that time via email. Good luck!